Provide interpreting services for deaf, heard of hearing, and deaf/blind students.
- Interpret in labs, lectures, practicum, field trips and other related school activities.
- Interpret for peer tutor sessions for students on an as needed basis.
- Arrange for note takes in classes as needed.
- Develop vocabulary/sign lists for each class
- Tutor students on class materials
- Interpret/explain correspondence papers from school
- Provision of test reading, and test proctoring services.
Contact instructors regarding student support services.
- Participate in an initial meeting at the beginning of the semester to explain interpreting role, communication process and other relevant information.
- Attend meetings with instructors and support services to discuss student progress, interpreting services and note taking services.
- Assist in design and adaption of student activities to meet with performance objectives
- Work with instructors to arrange interpreters for class related situations.
- Interpret for student/teacher meetings.
Coordinate use of adaptive equipment
- Identify equipment needs of students.
- Coordinate purchase of adaptive equipment
- Make sure adaptive equipment is accessible to students and staff.
- Education and demonstrate to staff about appropriate use of equipment.
Function as lead interpreter when appropriate
- Act as contact person to ensure adequate coverage in interpreting situations.
- Identify interpreter and interpreting problems and refer to Access & Accommodations Coordinator.
- Schedule interpreters for classes based on most appropriate interpreter for the situation.
- Promote general awareness of hearing impairment.
Provide and coordinate captioning services to students and faculty
- Provision of transcription and copy-typing services as requested
- Provision of AV closed captioning
- Listening to and creating captions/subtitles for educational videos, lectures, and training modules.
- Editing already-written transcripts for punctuation, grammar, and accuracy
- Completing captioning and subtitling projects using captioning/subtitling software